There are many ways to stay fit and healthy when living with sore joints. Learn how you can protect your joints and how to relieve joint discomfort with these ten tips:
1. Maintain your ideal body weight. Every pound you lose takes 4 pounds of pressure off your knees.
2. Move your body! Exercise protects joints by strengthening the muscles round them.
3. Stand up straight. Good posture protects the joints in your neck, back, hips, and knees.
4. Use the big joints of your body. When lifting or carrying, use the largest strongest joints and muscles to avoid injury.
5. Pace yourself. Alternate periods of heavy activity with periods of rest. Repetitive stress can accelerate the wear and tear that causes joint discomfort.
6. Listen to your body. If you are in pain, don’t ignore it. Extra pain after activity can be from over stress of your joints.
7. Don’t be static. Changing positions regularly will decrease stiffness in muscles & joints.
8. Forget the weekend warrior scenario. Don’t do activities your body isn’t ready for. Start slowly and safely until you know how your body will react to them. This will reduce the chance of injury.
9. Wear proper safety equipment. Use helmets, wrist pads, & knee pads to protect yourself during activities that need extra protection.
10. Ask for help. Don’t try and do a big job by yourself. Get another pair of hands to help you out.