If you don’t seem to have the time, or desire, to go to the gym everyday or hit a zumba class, why not get in a little extra calorie-burning cardio while also crossing tasks off your to-do list?
There are plenty of chores that can help you with your weight loss goals. For example, for an average 175 lb person, you’ll burn:
- 398 calories per hour with gardening (not simple gardening but actually getting out there and working at it)
- 358 calories per hour washing your car
- 199 calories per hour sweeping
- 318 calories per hour raking leaves (bonus, leaf piles you can jump in!)
Anything you “do” vs. sitting will help you move closer to your weight loss goal. In fact, a recent study found obese people tend to watch an average of 27 minutes more of TV per day than those of normal weight. So get up, turn the TV off and do something. Even cooking burns calories – have you seen Hell’s kitchen? They’re sweating up a storm! And, in addition to churning through some calories, getting up and getting active, even if just for 10 minutes every hour, is healthy. In fact, research shows that sitting for long periods increases ones risk of obesity, diabetes, cancer and early death, even if you exercise! That’s right, just going to the gym everyday does not fully mitigate the health risks associated with prolonged sitting.
It’s easy to keep moving once you get started:
- Set a timer if you need to but get up at least once per hour
- Do something, move around, stretch, fold some clothes
- Walk to your coworkers cubical vs. emailing her
- Walk around while on the telephone and stand and iron clothes while watching TV
Whatever you do, stay active throughout the day, not just for an hour while at the gym!