5 Steps for Bone Health – 3rd in Series
Step 3 – Maintain A Healthy Lifestyle
Previously I wrote about the 5 steps for bone health: Step 1 – Eat Right and Step 2 – Exercise. That brings me to Step 3 – Maintain a Healthy Lifestyle. Of course, eating right and exercise are very important part of this, but what further steps should be taken for stronger bones?
- Stop smoking – smoking is just as bad for your bones as it is for the rest of your body. Women who smoke have lower estrogen levels compared to nonsmokers and often go through menopause earlier, putting you at higher risk for osteoporosis. Visit this stop smoking blog for some great tips and support.
- Limit alcohol consumption – excessive alcohol intake of more than 2-3 drinks per day is damaging to your bones, even in younger women. Heavy drinkers are also more prone to bone loss and fractures, both because of poor nutrition and an increased risk of falling.
- Stay away from soda pop – soda contains phosphoric acid. When too much phosphorous is in the blood stream, calcium is leached from the bones.
- Maintain a healthy weight – a very low body weight can put you at higher risk for osteoporosis.
- Take a Calcium with Vitamin D supplement daily – look for a high quality liquid calcium supplement containing 1000 mg of calcium and 400 IU of Vitamin D.
Why not start today? Taking the right steps today will lead to stronger bones in the future.